To qualify for jury service a person must:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be qualified under the Constitution and laws of the state to vote in the county in which you are to serve as a juror. Please note that you do not have to be registered to vote to be qualified to vote.
- You must be of sound mind and good moral character.
- You must be able to read and write the English language.
- You must not have served as a juror for 6 days during the preceding 3 months in the County Court or during the preceding 6 months in the district court.
- You must not have been convicted of theft or any felony.
- You must not be under indictment or legal accusation, theft, any other felony charge or on deferred adjudication.
- You must currently reside within the city limits of Port Arthur.
- You must not be insane.
If you do not meet the qualifications listed above, or would like to request an exemption, you must submit your requested exemption on the Jury Summons letter you received.
Mail the completed document prior to the trial date to:
Port Arthur Municipal Court
P.O. Box 1089
Port Arthur, Texas 77641-1089
You may claim any of the following exemptions if you choose to, but you are not required to claim them:
- You are over 75 years of age.
- You have legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision.
- You are a student in a public or private secondary school.
- You are enrolled and attend an institution of higher education.
- You are an officer or an employee of the Senate, the House of Representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of State government.
- You are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself or herself.
- You have served as a juror in the Harris County during the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear for this summons.
- You have been summoned for service in a county with a population of 250,000 and you have served as a petit juror in the county during the three year period preceding the date you are to appear for jury service.
- You are a member of the United States military on active duty deployed away from your home station and out of your county of residence.